Venmo Dabbles in Rewards by Offering Cash Back With Debit Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Venmo, a popular peer-to-peer payment app launched its first debit card. This was great news for users who often pick-up bills or manage apartment finances as it allowed them to spend the money as soon as it hit their Venmo balance. Prior to the debit card, users would have to wait 2-3 days for the transaction to hit their bank account or they could pay a 25¢ convenience fee (although that’s been recently changed to a percentage of the transfer) to have it in their account immediately.
Although the Venmo card isn’t one we typically recommend since it doesn’t offer any sort of travel rewards, it’s interesting to see the mobile payment company dabbling in the world of rewards. Over the past couple of months they have offered welcome bonuses starting at $10 and have introduced cash back on purchases at select retailers. One current special allows cardholders to earn 5% cash back (up to $20) on purchases made at CVS, Chipotle, Trader Joe’s and 7-Eleven from now through the end of June.
To be eligible for this offer, users must be Venmo cardholders and have received an invitation via email, app or notification.
They’re also offering New Yorkers (or New York visitors with a Venmo card) cash back on subway fares June through July in partnership with Mastercard’s Fareback Fridays.
Although these aren’t the most lucrative rewards we’ve seen, it’s exciting news coming from Venmo because it appears to be just the beginning of more rewards from the service.
If you’re looking for a credit card that offers more cash back opportunities and rewards, check out the top cash-back credit cards. However, it’s worth noting that in many cases you can get more value out of travel rewards credit cards.
Featured image by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees