Venmo Introduces a Debit Card for Purchases in the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you prefer holding your money in hand rather than on your phone, Venmo now has you covered. The popular peer-to-peer payment app has launched a Mastercard debit card, which is linked to your Venmo account.
Issued by Bancorp, the card doesn’t charge any monthly or application fees, although you will pay a $2.50 ATM fee for withdrawing cash, or $3 for over-the-counter withdrawals at banks or any other institution that requires a signature. According to Venmo, the physical card cannot be used overseas or with international merchants, even for users placing an online order from the US.
What happens if you don’t have enough dough in your Venmo account to fund your transaction? The Venmo Card lets you link a designated bank account as your source for “Reload” funds. When Reloads are enabled, the Venmo Card will automatically withdraw from the funding source in $10 increments to cover the total purchase amount. As with any debit card purchase, you are responsible for ensuring that your funding source has sufficient funds to cover the transaction. Withdrawals are limited to the funds in your Venmo balance, up to a $400 daily withdrawal limit.
This debit card obviously isn’t a great choice from a rewards maximization perspective — you won’t earn points, miles or cash back on spending, but if the ability to cover purchases with your Venmo balance appeals to you, it could make sense. And while you can fund Venmo app transactions using a credit card for a 3% fee, it isn’t clear yet if you can designate a credit card as the Reload source for the Venmo Card.
The card is available to Venmo users on a rolling application basis. If you’re interested in applying for the card, the Venmo Card FAQ says to fire up the app and go to Settings, then select “Venmo Card”. You’ll be able to see if you’re currently eligible to apply for the card, or if you’ve been added to the Venmo Card waitlist. However, it’s worth noting that several TPG staff members didn’t see a link for the Venmo Card, even after making sure the app was up to date.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees