US airlines call on the White House to standardize COVID-19 documents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Digital health or vaccine passports have become a hot topic in recent months, as some countries have indicated that they’ll mandate vaccine requirements.
Some airlines have already embraced travel passports, and several have been rolled out or are in development. For instance, American Airlines and British Airways are currently using VeriFLY. Delta and United flyers traveling nonstop from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) can use Clear’s Health Pass feature.
But the travel industry is calling on the White House to standardize health documents like vaccine and negative COVID-19 test status.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“It is crucial to establish uniform guidance for (COVID-19 health credentials), according to a joint statement from Airlines 4 America, the U.S. Travel Association and other groups.
“Global efforts to create CHCs are already underway, and while we understand and support the critical need for an internationally harmonized approach, the U.S. must be a leader in this development.”
According to the Associated Press, the travel industry wants the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to lead the project. The European Union is also working on a digital health passport.
Currently, the only way to confirm vaccine status is a paper card from the CDC. Getting COVID-19 test results for travel is a little easier as many facilities put them online, but we’re not yet close to a standardized system used worldwide.
There’s also little stopping someone from forging these documents.
Authorities at London Heathrow Airport (LHR) told Reuters that they identify a “reasonable number” of fake COVID-19 test results per day. And several people were arrested in France last November and accused of offering fake test results at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG).
Featured image by courtneyk/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees