United’s ConnectionSaver: 50,000 made connections and counting
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is saving roughly 10,000 passenger connections a month with its new ConnectionSaver service by taking advantage of flights that are already going to arrive early.
“These are flights we expect to arrive early and we’re taking advantage of that opportunity,” said Greg Hart, chief operating officer of the Chicago-based carrier, at United’s media day in Chicago.
ConnectionSaver, a service United first rolled out at select hubs in June and expanded to its domestic network by the end of the summer, has saved more than 50,000 passengers connection to date and building good will for the airline.
ConnectionSaver “is accruing customer gratitude and appreciation over time while ensuring each aircraft arrives on time,” said United CEO Oscar Munoz earlier in October.
The idea behind ConnectionSaver is that the airline can hold some of the nearly quarter of its flights expected to arrive early by a few minutes in order to “save” connections, said Hart. The average delay is around four minutes.
Hart disagreed when asked whether the success of the program is an indication that United “pads” — when an airline adds several minutes to its schedule to cover for an anticipated delay and ensure an on-time arrival — its flight times too much. Other carriers pad their schedules more than United, he claimed.
ConnectionSaver is just one of many technology investments United is making aimed at improving the customer experience. While the program is something only ground staff see, the airline has added functionality to its app that allows travelers, for example, to select and book a hotel room when they are delayed overnight. Other additions include new 3D views of aircraft interiors on the United website with the first, of the Bombardier CRJ550, loading on Saturday.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) October 25, 2019
United is several years into a larger transformation that has focused on everything from product to operations and network. This includes its Polaris business class seats and lounges, improved operations and the benefits of that like ConnectionSaver, and its rapidly expanding domestic network with a focus on Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN) and Houston (IAH).
Featured image courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees