Why you may want to buy future United flight credits to earn a 5x miles bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines are doing some interesting things to raise cash, while many would-be travelers are still on the ground. And while many of these sales and offers won’t be a great deal for travelers who aren’t sure when they’ll fly next, there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes these offers can make sense in the right situation.
United has brought back the opportunity to deposit future flight credits into a TravelBank account. The airline has offered this type of account at various times in the past. Now, it’s incentivizing travelers to put money in by Sept. 23 by awarding five bonus United miles per dollar spent as a special offer. You are limited to $1,000 (5,000 bonus miles) per promotion, per MileagePlus account.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Once you have funds in your account, they’re available for use on United flights for five years. You can make deposits in the following denominations: $50, $100, $250 or $750.
In my tests, United TravelBank funds are available for immediate use — which is different than some other airline gift cards that have a waiting period before you can use them. However, there are some potential downsides to consider before taking advantage of this offer.
First, you can’t stack TravelBank funds and credit from a previously canceled flight in the same transaction. You also can’t use the funds on flights that aren’t operated by United or United Express. Additionally, if you want built-in travel protections that may come from purchasing the trip with your credit card, you won’t have those if you are using TravelBank funds to pay for the ticket. (Though you could likely still use a purchased trip insurance plan to cover your trip if you do go that route.)
I bought a little bit of United TravelBank credit to earn a bonus 5x redeemable United miles per dollar because I fly United frequently enough that I know it’ll go to good use well before its five-year expiration date. I also paid with a credit card that has some unused 2020 airline fee credits … just in case that happens to kick in.
It won’t make sense for everyone to stock up on United TravelBank credit to earn 5x miles on the purchase, but in my case, I was happy to buy a little bit of United credit — and earn bonus miles in the process — that I know I’ll use in the coming months and years.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees