Why you may want to buy future United flight credits to earn a 5x miles bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines are doing some interesting things to raise cash, while many would-be travelers are still on the ground. And while many of these sales and offers won’t be a great deal for travelers who aren’t sure when they’ll fly next, there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes these offers can make sense in the right situation.
United has brought back the opportunity to deposit future flight credits into a TravelBank account. The airline has offered this type of account at various times in the past. Now, it’s incentivizing travelers to put money in by Sept. 23 by awarding five bonus United miles per dollar spent as a special offer. You are limited to $1,000 (5,000 bonus miles) per promotion, per MileagePlus account.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Once you have funds in your account, they’re available for use on United flights for five years. You can make deposits in the following denominations: $50, $100, $250 or $750.
In my tests, United TravelBank funds are available for immediate use — which is different than some other airline gift cards that have a waiting period before you can use them. However, there are some potential downsides to consider before taking advantage of this offer.
First, you can’t stack TravelBank funds and credit from a previously canceled flight in the same transaction. You also can’t use the funds on flights that aren’t operated by United or United Express. Additionally, if you want built-in travel protections that may come from purchasing the trip with your credit card, you won’t have those if you are using TravelBank funds to pay for the ticket. (Though you could likely still use a purchased trip insurance plan to cover your trip if you do go that route.)
I bought a little bit of United TravelBank credit to earn a bonus 5x redeemable United miles per dollar because I fly United frequently enough that I know it’ll go to good use well before its five-year expiration date. I also paid with a credit card that has some unused 2020 airline fee credits … just in case that happens to kick in.
It won’t make sense for everyone to stock up on United TravelBank credit to earn 5x miles on the purchase, but in my case, I was happy to buy a little bit of United credit — and earn bonus miles in the process — that I know I’ll use in the coming months and years.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.