United will now refund COVID tests for delayed or canceled flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the many requirements of pandemic-era travel is a COVID test.
Most international destinations, as well as some states, require a negative test taken within a specified window before departure to avoid a mandatory quarantine.
But what happens if your flight ultimately gets delayed, thereby invalidating your negative test by the time you land at your destination?
Well, United now has your back. Effectively immediately, the Chicago-based carrier will refund your COVID test if your flight is delayed due to a controllable issue, like a maintenance or staffing problem.
A carrier spokesperson confirmed that customers with delayed flights can submit their test receipts to United’s customer care department. The carrier will refund up to $200 per traveler. Alternatively, flyers can choose miles or an electronic travel certificate as compensation, but it wasn’t immediately clear if United would offer higher values for those more restrictive payment methods.
Any test receipt will be considered for a refund, not just those offered by United for certain destinations, like Hawaii. If you don’t have a receipt, the carrier will offer some sort of credit to be determined based on your unique situation.
United’s top-tier Premier 1K and invite-only Global Services members have even more flexibility. The carrier will refund tests for those elite travelers even if the delay is out of the carrier’s control, like during inclement weather or air traffic control ground stops.
While a COVID test refund is certainly a welcome move, most travelers will face other significant inconveniences — well outside of United’s control — when arriving without a valid negative result.
In some cases, depending on the country, you may not even be permitted to board your departure flight. Other nations might force you into quarantine when you arrive — not the best way to start a trip.
Fortunately, United promises to work with customers in such cases. Significantly delayed and canceled flights are eligible for refunds, and the carrier told TPG that it will do its best to reaccommodate flyers in other exceptional circumstances.
Of the many factors to consider with pandemic-era travel, an invalidated COVID test is one at the top of my personal checklist.
To avoid getting stuck, I always get two tests before departure — one just at the outset of the 72- or 96-hour window and one on the day of departure. This way, I can ensure that I don’t end up missing a trip due to a flight delay.
Featured image by Zach Griff, TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees