United Offering Travel Waivers Ahead of SFO Runway Shutdown
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines just announced that it will be offering advance travel waivers to those flying to, from or connecting in San Francisco (SFO) between Sept. 7-26, 2019. The airline controls about 45 percent of traffic at SFO.
The news comes as a result of the the international airport closing down a major runway for repairs during that time. United’s travel notice page reads, “we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.” Waivers give customers the flexibility to change their flight or connect in a different city.
The airport recommends switching to an early-morning departure since delays are fine as the delays are expected to begin after 9am.
As for the repairs, runway 28L — which according to the airport is one of the two used primarily for arriving flights — will be receiving a new base layer below the runway surface. The time period for the construction was chosen to avoid busy travel periods like the summer and end of year, and also for the low probability of precipitation, since dry weather is needed for asphalt paving.
In addition to the runway repairs, there is also construction being done on the the AirTrain at night, so SFO officials recommend giving yourself extra time to get around the airport if you have an evening departure and will be using the AirTrain to get between terminals.
There are currently no other waivers offered for SFO during the construction period by other airlines.
Featured photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees