United Offering Travel Waivers Ahead of SFO Runway Shutdown
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines just announced that it will be offering advance travel waivers to those flying to, from or connecting in San Francisco (SFO) between Sept. 7-26, 2019. The airline controls about 45 percent of traffic at SFO.
The news comes as a result of the the international airport closing down a major runway for repairs during that time. United’s travel notice page reads, “we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.” Waivers give customers the flexibility to change their flight or connect in a different city.
The airport recommends switching to an early-morning departure since delays are fine as the delays are expected to begin after 9am.
As for the repairs, runway 28L — which according to the airport is one of the two used primarily for arriving flights — will be receiving a new base layer below the runway surface. The time period for the construction was chosen to avoid busy travel periods like the summer and end of year, and also for the low probability of precipitation, since dry weather is needed for asphalt paving.
In addition to the runway repairs, there is also construction being done on the the AirTrain at night, so SFO officials recommend giving yourself extra time to get around the airport if you have an evening departure and will be using the AirTrain to get between terminals.
There are currently no other waivers offered for SFO during the construction period by other airlines.
Featured photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.