Check to see if you can earn bonus miles through United’s latest Mile Play promo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United just launched a new version of its Mile Play promotion, which incentivizes targeted MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles before a specific date in order to earn bonus miles.
Offers were just sent out for trips booked and flown now through Jan. 31, 2020. This gives travelers more than two months to take advantage of this offer. To see if you’re eligible this time around, click here and enter your MileagePlus number.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As is normal with these, the offers range widely from one member to another. We checked around the TPG office and found the following offers:
TPG Travel Analyst Zach Griff scored an offer to earn 4,700 bonus miles when booking three trips of $200 or more:
Meanwhile, Zach’s girlfriend received an offer to earn 2,500 bonus miles for one flight of $225 or more to or from Newark (EWR):
Mona Kim, TPG UX Designer, snagged a sweet deal, earning 9,000 bonus miles after booking and flying a single trip of $225 or more:
TPG’s Summer Hull received an offer of 14,000 bonus miles, but she has to book and take three trips of $350 or more:
And TPG himself, Brian Kelly, got an offer to book and take a trip of $275 or more two times to earn 2,500 bonus miles:
Whether you were targeted for this promotion or not, you can earn a ton of bonus United miles by opening a new United cobranded credit card. Currently, there are three sweet offers:
- The United℠ Explorer Card is offering a limited-time bonus of up to 65,000 bonus miles; 40,000 miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases in the first three months. Plus, an additional 25,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 total on purchases in the first six months your account is open. You’ll also get perks like a free checked bag, priority boarding (even when booking Basic Economy) and two, one-time United club passes per year. And, there’s no annual fee the first year (then $95).
- The United℠ Explorer Business Card offers many of the same perks with an up to 100,000-mile bonus after qualifying purchases: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open and 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 total on purchases in the first six months your account is open.
- And there’s no reason to pay up to $550 per year for a United Club membership separately. Instead, sign up for the $450 per year United Club Card to get a Club membership plus a 50,000-mile sign-up bonus for spending $3,000 in the first three months after account opening.
The information for the United Club Card, Citi Prestige Card, and the Citi Premier Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While these United cobranded cards are the best for stocking up on United miles, you’ll earn even more miles when you book these flights with one of the best cards for airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare) or the Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, American Express® Gold Card, which each earn 3x on airfare (when booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com on the Amex Gold).
Featured photo courtesy of United.
Additional reporting by Summer Hull and Jasmin Baron.
- Earn up to 100,000 after qualifying purchases.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Plus, 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months your account is open
- Earn 2 miles per $1 at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases. And 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Free checked bag - save up to $120 per roundtrip (terms apply)
- Two one-time United Club℠ passes each year — Over $100 in value per year
- Employee cards at no additional cost - miles earned from their purchases accrue in your account. Plus, you can set individual spending limits for each card.