United’s Mile Play promo is back: See how many bonus miles you can earn
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
United just re-launched its Mile Play promotion, which incentivizes targeted MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles in order to earn bonus United miles.
Several TPG staff received targeted offers for trips booked and flown from now through June 13, 2021. This gives travelers a month-and-a-half to take advantage of this offer. To see if you’re eligible and register, click here and enter your MileagePlus number.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Examples of offers
As is normal with these promotions, the offers range widely from one member to another. Additionally, not everyone is targeted for a bonus. We checked around the TPG team and found the following offers:
To start, I — a general United MileagePlus member — received an offer for 2,800 bonus miles after taking two trips. Each purchased fare must be a minimum of $150 to qualify. Based on TPG valuations, 2,800 MileagePlus miles are worth about $36.
Global News Editor Emily McNutt received an offer for 5,000 bonus miles after taking just one trip, costing at least $25. Based on TPG valuations, this bonus is worth a solid $65.
Meanwhile, editor-at-large Zach Honig, a top-tier 1K elite, also received an offer for 5,000 bonus miles, but the flight must be taken in a premium seat and cost at least $550 to qualify.
Some elite members are getting higher offers but also need to do more flying. Director of Travel content Summer Hull, who has United Gold status, received an offer for 9,100 bonus miles after taking two trips costing $200 or more.
Not everyone is targeted for an offer, though. A number of members on our team didn’t get offers, unfortunately.
Other ways to earn United miles
Whether you were targeted for this promotion or not, you can earn a ton of bonus United miles by opening a new United cobranded credit card. Currently, there are several sweet offers:
- United Explorer Card: Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. The first year annual fee is waived and it’s $95 per year thereafter.
- United Quest Card: Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- United Club Infinite Card: Earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. The annual fee on this card is $525, but that’s largely offset by the United Club membership that comes with this card.
Cards that earn bonus miles on United flights
While these United co-branded cards are the best for stocking up on United miles, you’ll earn even more miles when you book these flights with one of the best cards for airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare) or the Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, American Express® Gold Card, which each earn 3x on airfare (when booked directly with airlines or on Amex Travel on the Amex Gold).
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
All screenshots courtesy of United.
Featured photo courtesy of Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Additional reporting by JT Genter, Summer Hull, Jasmin Baron and Victoria Walker.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees