This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United just launched a new version of its Mile Play promotion for MileagePlus members. The program incentivizes targeted MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles before a specific date in order to earn a number of targeted bonus miles.
Offers were just sent out for trips booked and flown now through October 31. This gives travelers more than two months to take advantage of this offer. To see if you’re targeted this time around, click here and enter your MileagePlus number.
As is normal with these, the targeted offers range widely from one member to another. We checked around the TPG office and found the following offers:
TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva scored an offer to earn 6,500 bonus miles when booking one trip of $400 or more:
TPG’s News/Deals Editor Brendan Dorsey‘s offer was to receive 2,500 bonus miles upon booking and taking one trip of $150:
TPG’s Global News Editor Emily McNutt received an offer for 4,000 bonus miles for taking two trips of $175 or more:
TPG’s Credit Card’s Editor Benet Wilson‘s offer is for 4,800 bonus miles with a flight purchase of $300 or more:
TPG’s Mommy Points received an offer of 10,000 bonus miles, but she has to book and take three trips of $225 or more:
But, not everyone was so lucky. TPG Reviews Editor Nick Ellis, as well as a few others, got rocks.
Whether you were targeted for this promotion or not, you can still stock up on bonus United miles by opening a new United co-branded credit card. Currently, there are three sweet offers:
- The United Explorer Card is offering 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open. You’ll also get perks like a free checked bag, priority boarding (even when booking Basic Economy) and two, one-time United club passes per year. And, there’s no annual fee the first year (then $95).
- The United Explorer Business Card offers many of the same perks with an up to 100,000 mile bonus after qualifying purchases: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open and 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 total on purchases in the first six months your account is open.
- And there’s no reason to pay up to $550 per year for a United Club membership separately. Instead, sign up for the $450 per year United Club Card to get a Club membership plus a 50,000-mile sign-up bonus for spending $3,000 in the first three months after account opening. This card just introduced a 25% statement credit on inflight United purchases such as snacks and Wi-Fi.
The information for the United Club Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While these United co-branded cards are the best for stocking up on United miles, you’ll earn even more miles when you book these flights with The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare) or the Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, which each earn 3x on airfare (when booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com on the Amex Gold).
Featured photo by United
Additional reporting by Summer Hull
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 after qualifying purchases.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Plus, 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months your account is open
- Earn 2 miles per $1 at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases. And 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Free checked bag - save up to $120 per roundtrip (terms apply)
- Two one-time United Club℠ passes each year — Over $100 in value per year
- Employee cards at no additional cost - miles earned from their purchases accrue in your account. Plus, you can set individual spending limits for each card.