United Is Flying Its First Airbus A319 With More First-Class Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first United Airlines Airbus A319 with an expanded first class cabin is flying around the friendly skies.
The aircraft, registration N850UA, returned to service after being outfitted with 12 first-class seats on July 31, an internal newsletter to flight attendants and FlightAware.com show. The reconfigured aircraft has 36 extra-legroom Economy Plus seats and 78 economy seats for a total of 126 passengers, or two fewer than United’s previous A319 layout.
The additional first-class seats, and smaller Economy cabin, benefits both the Chicago-based carrier and passengers. It creates additional revenue opportunities for United, as well as additional upgrade opportunities for passengers.
United announced plans to add first-class seats to both its A319 and Airbus A320 fleets in February. The move is part of a larger push to offer more premium seats across its fleet and includes plans for the Bombardier CRJ550 — a re-certified CRJ700 with 50 seats, including first class — and its “high-J” Boeing 767-300ERs with an expanded Polaris Business Class cabin.
“In an era where many airlines are adding seats to their aircraft to crowd more passengers onto the plane, we’re… doing exactly the opposite – for the benefit of our customers,” said Andrew Nocella, chief commercial officer of United, in a February statement. “From adding more premium seats on aircraft that serve some of our most traveled routes, introducing a revolutionary, best-in-class 50-seat experience… we are committed to making United the airline that our customers choose to fly.”
Beyond the added first class seats, the reconfigured A319 cabin is unchanged save a new cabin divider, according to the flight attendant newsletter on July 31.
United plans to reconfigure its A320s with 16 first-class seats, up from 12 seats currently, plus 39 Economy Plus and 95 economy seats for a total of 150 seats. This is comparable to its existing A320 layout.
The carrier operated 172 A319 and A320 aircraft at the end of June, its latest fleet plan shows. The company plans to retrofit the fleet with the additional first-class seats by mid-2020.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees