United Adding More First Class Seats to Airbus A319s and A320s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s most frequent economy flyers know to avoid the Airbus A319 if they’re hoping for any chance of a complimentary upgrade — with just eight first-class seats but 120 in coach, the odds are far better even on some of the airline’s regional jets.
United is aware — executive vice president and chief commercial officer Andrew Nocella acknowledged that the Airbus A319 and the slightly larger A320, which currently sports just 12 first-class seats, have some of the lowest complimentary upgrade percentages across the mainline fleet.
Beginning later this year, United will add four first-class seats to its fleet of 60+ Airbus A319s, bringing the total count to 12 and matching the carrier’s Boeing 737-700s. The Economy Plus count will drop from 42 to 36 as a result, though the reconfigured planes will still offer 78 regular coach seats. With the addition of four first-class seats, United’s A319s will lose just two seats overall.
United’s nearly 100 Airbus A320s will jump from 12 seats to 16, meanwhile, matching the airline’s Boeing 737-800s, with reconfigurations beginning in early 2020. Interestingly, United’s managed to adjust the cabins by maximizing underutilized space, so the total seat count will remain unchanged, with 39 Economy Plus seats and 95 in regular coach.
Of course, the airline isn’t completing these expensive renovations just to give economy flyers a better shot at an upgrade — more first-class seats for upgrades also means more for sale, and the airline does expect to sell roughly half of these additional first-class seats, on average, with the other half going to upgrades and awards. All aircraft are expected to be configured by the middle of 2020.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees