Here’s the gift United is sending to welcome Global Services members in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has four published elite tiers: Premier Silver, Gold, Platinum and 1K. But there’s also a higher “unpublished” level, and it’s become increasingly difficult to score that coveted Global Services nod.
Although the criteria for admission is a highly guarded airline secret, each year invited members discuss their travel stats, helping to paint a picture of exactly what’s required to qualify for United’s incredibly rewarding highest tier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While the most valuable Global Services benefits include expanded award availability, a higher upgrade probability and access to top-notch phone and airport agents, United also sends along a physical gift, in the form of an annual welcome kit.
A friend of mine just received his in the mail, and he snapped a few pictures to share.
The big addition this year is a wireless charger, complete with the Global Services logo. United also included a pair of Denver-themed bag tags and a rolling luggage handle grip — versions of which are apparently also going out to Premier 1K members.
He also received five drink vouchers, which are best gifted to family members and friends, given that Global Services members (and 1Ks) get free drinks, even when flying in coach.
And, unique to Global Services members, the airline is sending out thank you slips that customers can hand to employees to thank them for exceptional service. It’s unclear what the employee receives in return, but apparently they’re often thrilled to receive one.
Of course, the eternal question is how do you qualify yourself. While it seems there are a number of factors involved — including the fare classes you book, your home airport and how much you fly — one thing remains clear: you have to spend a lot with United in order to score an invitation. My friend finished 2019 with well over 200,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs) and over $60,000 in spend, but it’s not unheard of to qualify with a bit less travel than that.
Featured image of the interior of a United 787-10 in Polaris from the Points Guy archives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees