United Flight Attendants Will Soon Experience ‘Unforgettable’ Training
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the course of 2019, more than 25,000 United Airlines flight attendants will undergo a new, unique training experience in the carrier’s headquarters city.
“It’s time to pull back the curtain on what’s next,” reads the caption under a YouTube video introducing the “unforgettable experience” that United is calling “Backstage 2019.” The flashy two-day event series is part of the airline’s core4 customer service training strategy, and Backstage 2019 is designed to infuse some fun and pizzazz into the flight attendant training experience, which the airline is calling “an opportunity unlike any we’ve shared before.”
Backstage 2019 is slated to begin in February and span 33 weeks of total training time. United’s 25,000-odd flight attendants will be sorted into 33 cohorts, 800 at a time, and one group per week will visit an as-yet-undisclosed training facility in Chicago, the city that houses the airline’s headquarters. Internal sources told the Chicago Business Journal that the two-day events won’t feature much of the typical auditorium learning format, with far more experience-driven and immersive training designed to help flight attendants get hyped up about the airline’s new long-term strategy to boost United’s “caring customer service” to the next level. “We’re one United team, ready to dream big,” the Backstage 2019 video states.
However, United’s corporate team and its flight attendants may not see eye to eye. The airline has butted heads with its staff multiple times this year, including a backfired attempt to eliminate performance bonuses in favor of “bonus lotteries,” which randomized employee chances of winning financial prizes instead of rewarding positive on-the-job behaviors. This year, flight attendants were also told to shape up their look on the job. And just a few weeks ago, hundreds of flight attendants staged a public protest against United’s new impending plan to eliminate one flight attendant headcount from United’s Polaris international business class cabin crew assignments beginning Feb. 1.
Featured photo by Pixabay.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees