United opening Clear checkpoints at Chicago O’Hare, final U.S. hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Security screening is about to become a bit more manageable for United Airliners flyers at Chicago O’Hare — at least those of you lucky enough to have a Clear membership, now available at a discounted rate for MileagePlus members (and free for top-tier elites).
As of Tuesday, Clear will be available at Chicago O’Hare (ORD)’s Terminal 1, including one lane for PreCheck customers at Checkpoint 2 and a standard security lane at Checkpoint 1. Clear will open at Terminal 2 “in the coming weeks,” according to a United spokesperson.
While Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are most convenient for United Airlines flyers, O’Hare’s terminals are connected airside, so it is possible to use the new Clear checkpoints even if you’re flying another carrier — assuming you’re up for a bit of a hike to the gate.
A standard Clear membership will run you $179 per year, but there are a number of options to get it at a significantly reduced rate. The American Express® Green Card offers a $100 statement credit when you use the card to purchase a membership each year. Additionally, TPG readers can use the promo code TPG149 to get a discounted membership of $149 for the first year, or use the promo code TPG2M to get a two-month free trial membership.
Delta also offers a free membership to Diamond Medallion elites, or a reduced-fee $119 membership to all SkyMiles members. Silver, Gold and Platinum Medallions, as well as customers with a co-branded card, including the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, can get Clear for $109 per year.
United also partners with Clear, offering a free membership to Premier 1K and Global Services elites, or a discounted fee of $119 per year to general MileagePlus members. Meanwhile, Premier Silver, Gold and Platinum elites and customers with cards like like the United Explorer Card or United Club Card can get CLEAR for $109 per year.
The information for the United Club Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Victoria Walker/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees