United opening Clear checkpoints at Chicago O’Hare, final U.S. hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Security screening is about to become a bit more manageable for United Airliners flyers at Chicago O’Hare — at least those of you lucky enough to have a Clear membership, now available at a discounted rate for MileagePlus members (and free for top-tier elites).
As of Tuesday, Clear will be available at Chicago O’Hare (ORD)’s Terminal 1, including one lane for PreCheck customers at Checkpoint 2 and a standard security lane at Checkpoint 1. Clear will open at Terminal 2 “in the coming weeks,” according to a United spokesperson.
While Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are most convenient for United Airlines flyers, O’Hare’s terminals are connected airside, so it is possible to use the new Clear checkpoints even if you’re flying another carrier — assuming you’re up for a bit of a hike to the gate.
A standard Clear membership will run you $179 per year, but there are a number of options to get it at a significantly reduced rate. The American Express® Green Card offers an up to $100 statement credit when you use the card to purchase a membership each year. Additionally, TPG readers can use the promo code TPG149 to get a discounted membership of $149 for the first year, or use the promo code TPG2M to get a two-month free trial membership.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
United also partners with Clear, offering a free membership to Premier 1K and Global Services elites, or a discounted fee of $119 per year to general MileagePlus members. Meanwhile, Premier Silver, Gold and Platinum elites and customers with cards like like the United Explorer Card or United Club Infinite Card can get CLEAR for $109 per year.
Featured photo by Victoria Walker/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees