United CEO Says Seat Pitch Likely Can’t Get Any Smaller
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everyone who’s flown on an airplane in recent years knows that if you’re in coach, you’re likely not going to be enjoying the flying experience.
And in a world full of devaluations and passenger experience cuts that are explained by “we’re just responding to customer requests” — we heard a surprisingly candid and honest response from United CEO Oscar Munoz that appears to acknowledge that the flying experience has become more stressful and uncomfortable.
Munoz’s comments come from a recent interview with ABC News, where the CEO riffed on the state of the airline industry.
“Seats keep on getting smaller. Has that stopped? Have we reached the smallest we’re going to get?” asked David Kerley, ABC’s senior transportation correspondent.
“I think we’re nearing a point certainly that we can’t do that anymore,” Munoz responded.
While Munoz didn’t say anything about increasing pitch on United aircraft (the airline’s been slowing putting more seats on aircraft) it’s good to hear he at least recognizes there’s an issue.
Seat pitch certainly isn’t the only thing customers complain about. Munoz said the entire flying process is quite stressful from getting to the airport itself and going through the TSA.
“Frankly by the time you sit in one of our aircraft and one of our seats, you’re just pissed at the world,” said Munoz “And I don’t care what coffee or cookie or smile I give you.”
As fares drop lower and lower (i.e. basic economy) and airlines consistently match each other on price, it becomes more apparent that carriers will have to start competing on service.
“The competition is less about price discounts and more about the experience and the service, and I think at the end of the day it’s better for the customer,” said Munoz.
“We will fix that,” said Munoz. “Frankly we would stop a lot of our growth if we could just stop and find the right provider and get that done. That’s how important WiFi is to us.”
Featured Image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees