Heads up: Product change coming to legacy United Club Mastercard holders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a current owner of the United Club℠ Mastercard (no longer available for new applicants), you’ll face an automatic product change to the United Club Infinite Card officially on Nov. 18, 2021. Accordingly, your annual fee will increase from $450 to $525.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Although the $75 annual fee increase may leave a bad taste for some, this new $525 annual fee won’t be charged to your account until late 2022. That means you’ll have more than a year to try out this product change before the new annual fee takes into effect.
If this change applies to you, you should have received notice from Chase by now. Let’s dive into the new perks you’ll get with the United Club Infinite and review your options if you ultimately decide you don’t want this product change.
Personal United card changes
If you currently hold the United Club Card — the predecessor of the United Club℠ Infinite Card — you’ll automatically get upgraded in November. Here are all the changes you need to be aware of:
- Improved rewards rate of 4x on United purchases, 2x on all other travel and restaurants, and 1x on all other eligible purchases.
- On award tickets, United MileagePlus Premier members will enjoy complimentary premier upgrades for one companion on the same reservation (upon availability).
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit every four years.
- $70 discount on a Clear membership — and if you sign up with the card before June 30, 2022, you’ll get 10,000 bonus miles (which TPG values at $130).
- In 2022, cardholders can earn 500 Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) for every $12,000 spent, for up to 4,000 PQPs total each calendar year.
However, there is one key benefit that United Club Mastercard holders will lose: cell phone protection.
If you relied heavily on this coverage, you might see this product change as a heavy loss. Despite this, these changes are a win in our book and will most likely justify the $525 annual fee. Check out this guide on cards that offer cell phone protection if you are dissatisfied with the loss of this perk.
Those applying for United Club Infinite Card fresh can get a welcome bonus of 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
However, those who are product changed to this — or any other card — would not receive the welcome bonus as part of a product change. You’d only be eligible for that if you applied outright.
What to do if you don’t want the upcoming product change
There are some options if you don’t want your existing card to be automatically upgraded.
Your first option is to downgrade to any of United’s other credit cards and/or apply for a new United card outright for more perks and a sign-up bonus. For example, the United Quest Card has a lower $250 annual fee and offers a bonus of 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
Over time, United has sunsetted its old cobranded cards while revealing an all-new lineup. Finally, these changes affect legacy cardholders, too — eliminating and replacing these old products altogether.
As a result, you’ll want to weigh your options and decide if your new United Club Infinite card is worth keeping — or if you want to make a different change.
Even though your card will automatically be changed to the Club Infinite on Nov. 18, you’ll have until late 2022 to be charged the $525 annual fee, which will give you a year to test how you like the product upgrade before you are imposed a higher fee. However, if you would prefer to apply for a different card outright, there’s plenty of time to do that, too.
United actively offers five cobranded Chase cards — for a total of four personal cards and one business card:
- Application link: United Gateway card with 30,000 bonus miles: Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
- Application link: United Explorer card with up to 70,000 bonus miles: Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 miles after you spend $6,000 total on purchases in the first six months your account is open.
- Application link: United Quest card with 80,000 bonus miles: Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
- Application link: United Club Infinite card with 100,000 bonus miles: Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Application link: United Business card with 75,000 bonus miles: Earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees