United Airlines testing Polaris, economy amenity improvements
Last year, United Airlines rolled out new pajamas in business class — while I’m no apparel expert, the new PJs don’t feel as well made, though the carrier has still been boarding only a handful per flight. Generally, if you’re on a flight with pajamas, it’s best to ask for a set as soon as you board, since the crew often does run out.
Beginning Feb. 1, United will be boarding one set of pajamas for each and every Polaris customer, so you don’t need to worry about the carrier running out — for now, only on flights between Chicago (ORD) and Tokyo (NRT), though if the trial is a success, the airline could expand the new provisioning to all of its pajama-equipped flights. For flights between Chicago and Tokyo, flight attendants are instructed to offer pajamas to business-class flyers before takeoff, or after departure if there isn’t time.
Additionally, on the same Chicago-Tokyo flights, and on the return leg as well, the crew will offer eyeshades, ear plugs and dental kits to all economy flyers. Flight attendants will be making the rounds with those amenities after takeoff, before the main meal service. The move follows recent service improvements from Delta, which include welcome cocktails and an upgraded meal service on certain coach flights.
While this is clearly a positive change, especially in economy, lately I’ve been bringing my own sleepwear, instead of using the set United hands out. While the carrier is using the same manufacturer as before, I find United’s previous Polaris pajamas to be considerably higher-end, with longer-lasting materials and pockets in the pants. They’re more tastefully designed, as well — the latest version sports a huge “POLARIS” logo on the back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees