United Airlines Orders New Embraer E175s to Refresh Its United Express Fleet
United Airlines will bring new Embraer E175 jets into its regional fleet, announcing a deal with the Brazilian jetmaker on Monday at the Paris Air Show.
The deal includes a firm order for 20 of the planes plus options for 19 more. The total deal, including the options, would be valued at $1.9 billion at list prices — though airlines typically receive substantial discounts on such orders.
United intends to use aircraft from the new order to replace older 70-seat aircraft currently in operation at its United Express regional affiliates.
“The E175, operated by our regional partners, has proven to be an important part of our fleet as we continue to grow our mainline airline and provide an enhanced customer experience,” United CFO Gerry Laderman said in a statement. “As we focus on providing our customers the utmost comfort and convenience, we will rely on aircraft like the E175 to help us achieve our goal of delivering the best experience in the sky.”
Deliveries from deal the are expected to begin in the second quarter of 2020.
“Replacing older aircraft is a necessity for United, which can only have up to 255 (aircraft) with 70-76 seats in its regional fleet under its contract with pilots,” writes trade publication FlightGlobal. “(United) operated CRJ700s, Embraer 170s and E175s that, together, totaled that number at the end of March, its latest fleet plan shows.”
Featured image courtesy of Embraer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.