United Airlines plans 4 new LAX routes to beaches in Mexico, Belize
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will offer Southern Californians four more ways to escape their homes and hit the beach this winter.
The Chicago-based Star Alliance carrier will add new nonstop flights between its Los Angeles (LAX) hub and Belize City (BZE) in Belize, and Cozumel (CZM), Manzanillo (ZLO) and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa (ZIH) in Mexico, United said Tuesday. Service will launch in January and February, with a seasonal schedule.
The new routes come as travelers continue to prefer destinations where they can be outdoors and socially distance during the coronavirus pandemic. Caribbean and Florida beach locales, mountains towns in the Rockies and desert oases have all fared well.
United is launching more than 17 new nonstop flights to Florida that bypass it hubs this winter. Others, like JetBlue Airways and Southwest Airlines, are adding newly popular places like Montrose, Colorado (MTJ) and Palm Springs (PSP) to their maps.
The first of United’s new Los Angeles routes begins with service to Belize City on Jan. 9. Cozumel, Manzanillo and Zihuatanejo flights begin on Feb.13. All four routes operate once-weekly through the winter. The airline will fly a Boeing737-800 to Belize City and Cozumel, and an Embraer 175 to Manzanillo and Zihuatanejo.
Tickets for the new routes are on sale at United’s website. One-way fares to Belize City begin at $346, Cozumel at $206, Manzanillo at $376 and Zihuatanejo at $296.
“Over the last few months, we’ve seen solid demand from our customers in Los Angeles to reunite with their friends and relatives in Latin America or escape to warm-weather destinations where they are still able to socially distance,” said United director of airport operations in Los Angeles Alberto Diaz in a statement.
United’s schedule remains far below where it was in 2019. In December, the carrier plans to fly just 52% of what it flew a year ago, according to Cirium data. January schedules will load about 30 days out.
And United is not the only airline betting on beach-bound flyers from Los Angeles. American Airlines flies the LAX-Belize City route and Alaska Airlines the LAX-Manzanillo and LAX-Zihuatanejo routes, Cirium schedules show.
Featured image by Markus Mainka/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees