JetBlue adds a new Colorado ski town to its map amid flurry of new winter flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways is snapping on its ski boots and getting ready to hit the slopes this winter amid a flurry of new air service to the Rocky Mountains.
The New York-based carrier will add Montrose, Colorado (MTJ,) near Telluride to its map starting Dec. 19, JetBlue unveiled on Wednesday. The airline will offer flights to Montrose from Boston (BOS) on Saturdays and Sundays through March 27, 2021, and from its new Los Angeles (LAX) base and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) on select Saturdays through Feb. 20, 2021. All of the flights will be flown with Airbus A320 jets.
JetBlue joins Southwest Airlines in adding Montrose to its map this winter. Both airlines are adding outdoor-oriented destinations — including ones in the Rocky Mountains as well as desert city Palm Springs — for leisure travelers eager for socially-distanced escapes from their homes.
“As we take a refreshed approach to evaluating new markets, it’s clear to us that travelers are increasingly looking for unique destinations where they can truly escape and enjoy wide open spaces,” Andrea Lusso, vice president network planning at JetBlue, said in a statement.
Lusso added that Montrose allows the airline to further “diversify” its map, which has traditionally leaned heavily on Northeast business markets and Florida and Caribbean beaches.
JetBlue is also expanding service to Steamboat Springs, Colorado (HDN) with new nonstop flights to New York.
The addition of Montrose, however, does not make up for what JetBlue has cut. The airline only plans to fly a little over 60% of what it flew a year ago in November, according to Cirium data. December schedules have not been loaded.
In addition, the carrier has suspended flights to a number of major airports, including Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and San Jose, California (SJC), until at least April. Flights to Newburgh/Stewart (SWF) near New York City and Worcester, Massachusetts (ORH) are suspended indefinitely.
In September, JetBlue’s senior vice president of airline planning Scott Laurence told TPG that the airline’s more than 50 new routes — most to leisure-oriented destinations — were “driven out of the fact that we’ve seen business travel evaporate and is probably not coming back anytime soon.”
Featured image courtesy of JetBlue.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees