JetBlue adds Steamboat-NYC flights as Colorado ski town’s pandemic connections keep growing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There seems to be something in the snow in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
The New York-based carrier will offer up to twice-weekly service between New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Steamboat beginning Dec. 19, JetBlue said Thursday. Flights will operate with Airbus A320 jets through March 27, 2021.
Seats are on sale for the New York-Steamboat route on JetBlue’s website. Fares start as low as $407 one-way in December.
The new route complements JetBlue’s existing seasonal service between Steamboat and both Boston (BOS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Both routes are due to resume this winter.
Nestled in the Yampa Valley in northwest Colorado, Steamboat is known for its winter delights. It boasts an eponymous ski resort with more than 150 downhill trails and 18 lifts, multiple other outdoor winter attractions plus a town with shopping and dining options.
The city has even trademarked the self-proclaimed nickname “Ski Town USA.”
Steamboat has long had year-round air service to Denver (DEN), which United Airlines continues today. In addition, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and JetBlue offer seasonal nonstop flights from cities ranging from Atlanta (ATL) to Los Angeles (LAX) and Seattle (SEA).
Southwest plans to join the pack in Steamboat this winter. The low-cost carrier will offer three daily flights to Denver plus weekend service to its home base at Dallas Love Field (DAL) from December through April 2021.
The new service on both JetBlue and Southwest comes as airlines say travelers increasingly are looking to fly to places with outdoor space — destinations with beaches — or, as in Steamboat’s case — mountains.
But traveler interest in the outdoors is not the only reason airlines are going to Steamboat. The airport also offers considerable financial incentives for new service, several advisors who help airports land new flights told TPG. Incentives can include anything from waiving landing fees to offering a minimum-revenue guarantee that would pay for any losses incurred on a new route.
Even with the added flights, both JetBlue and Southwest plan to fly significantly less this winter than they did last year. In July, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the company anticipates being a 25% smaller in December than during the same month in 2019.
JetBlue’s new New York JFK service will compete with a seasonal flight to Newark (EWR) on United, Cirium schedules show.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees