Apple and United team up for instant vaccine verification on your iPhone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is making it easier to submit proof of vaccination before your flight.
The Chicago-based carrier is partnering with Apple to enable a direct connection between the airline’s mobile app and your iPhone’s built-in Health app.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
If you have a COVID-19 vaccine certificate stored in the Health app, you’ll now be able to upload it directly into the United app — without requiring any additional work on your part. No more photos or scrambling for your paper vaccination card.
When you have an upcoming flight to a destination that requires proof of vaccination, United’s Travel-Ready Center will prompt you to upload your certificate before check-in opens. You’ll still have the option to upload a picture of your paper-based card, but using the Apple Health method will be your best bet.
That’s because your vaccine card will be instantly verified by United, without requiring a manual scan by a remote agent. When you authorize the Travel-Ready Center to access your digital immunization record, it’ll be automatically uploaded and verified on United’s system, and the records will be stored until you complete your travels.
For now, the iPhone Health app supports vaccine cards that meet the SMART Health Cards specification, which is only being used by health agencies in four states: California, Louisiana, New York and select locations in Maryland.
Additionally, if you were vaccinated at a Walmart, Sam’s Club or CVS Health pharmacy, your vaccine information is likely stored in the SMART Health Card system. You can find a full list of participating providers here.
In addition to the new United tie-up, you’ll soon be able to add your digital vaccine card to your iPhone’s mobile Wallet. With the Wallet integration, it’ll be easier than ever to quickly show proof of vaccination as you enter a place of business, like a gym, restaurant, airport lounge or even a hotel, that requires one.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees