United is bringing back fresh food to coach cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United flyers sitting “in the back” can soon enjoy some fresh fare.
Beginning Sept. 15, United will once again offer a selection of fresh food on its buy-on-board Choice Menu.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
There’ll be two options to enjoy for morning departures between 5 a.m. and 9:59 a.m, as well as three all-day dining choices for flights departing between 10 a.m. and 8:59 p.m., with the details and United’s descriptions below.
- Chia seed pudding – topped with fresh mango and toasted coconut.
- Bacon, egg and cheese croissant sandwich – bacon, fried egg and cheddar on a butter spiral croissant.
- Mediterranean grain bowl – bulgur, black lentil and carrot salad, roasted zucchini and bell peppers, served with lemon vinaigrette.
- Cheeseburger – cheeseburger with cheddar and pickles on a buttered brioche bun.
- Fresh cheese tray — cheddar, gouda, Colby jack and Monterey Jack cheeses, along with crackers and dried cherry and almond mix.
United didn’t have any updated pricing available to share publicly at this time, but if history is any indication, each option should cost about $10, like it did before the pandemic started.
Reintroducing fresh food in economy is especially good news for United’s top-tier Premier 1K and invite-only Global Services members who continue to receive one free food and drink item when seated in coach.
These new offerings will join the recently refreshed snack boxes and packaged snacks — Pringles, banana bites, sweet potato tortilla chips and a trail mix — as the nosh available for sale on domestic flights over 1,500 miles, excluding long-haul Hawaii flights where flyers are served complimentary meals in coach.
In order to purchase one of the new options, you’ll need to have a credit card stored in your MileagePlus frequent flyer account.
When the flight attendant passes by your row, you’ll be asked if you want to purchase a snack (or drink). If you do, the crew will pull up your profile on a mobile tablet and charge your stored payment method. Receipts will be emailed, keeping the purchase process completely touchless.
Beginning Oct. 1, you can use United’s new pre-order feature to select a fresh meal up to five days before your flight on select routes.
For the latest details on inflight food and beverage updates during the pandemic, be sure to bookmark TPG’s comprehensive guide.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees