United Airlines could return to New York’s JFK airport in 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chicago-based carrier hopes to return to New York JFK sometime in 2021 — maybe even early in the year — CNBC reported citing officials familiar with the matter on Tuesday. TPG independently confirmed United’s intention to return to JFK next year from sources familiar with the carrier’s plans.
A United spokesperson declined to comment.
United ended service to JFK when it suspended nonstop flights from Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) in October 2015. The move amid fierce competition from American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and JetBlue Airways on the high-profile transcontinental routes. While leaving JFK, United consolidated its flights on the routes at its nearby Newark Liberty (EWR) hub and raised the stakes with up to hourly service.
“I wish I could roll back the clock and change the decision,” Kirby said on the departure in 2017. “It was the wrong decision.”
The move lost United the many New Yorkers who prefer flying into and out of JFK rather than cross the Hudson River to Newark. In addition, JFK serves the millions of people who live on Long Island or in Westchester County and for whom the trip to New Jersey is longer and less attractive.
United continues to serve New York LaGuardia (LGA) and Westchester County Airport (HPN) in addition to Newark.
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) November 14, 2015
The decline in air travel because of COVID-19 may create the opening United needs to acquire slots at JFK. While slot usage rules remain temporarily waived, some airlines are expected to give up slots at various airports as they shrink as a result of the crisis.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has waived slot usage rules through Oct. 24 and is considering an extending that to Dec. 31.
United is in favor of extending the slot waivers. The airline’s vice president of international regulatory and policy Steve Morrissey cited a “great need of flexibility” due the uncertainty around the duration of the crisis in a letter to the FAA on July 14. He asked the regulator to extend the waivers beyond December through July 2021.
The airline remains significantly smaller today than it was in 2019. In October, United plans to fly about 40% of what it flew a year ago with expectations that it could resume up to only about half of its former schedule by year-end.
United anticipates furloughing roughly 12,000 employees, including flight attendants and ground staff, on Thursday (Oct. 1). That is the day after protections under the federal coronavirus aid package, or CARES Act, expire barring an 11th hour extension by Congress.
While House Democrats unveiled a bill that would extend protections for airline employees on Sept. 28, a vote and a comparable Senate bill appear unlikely before Thursday.
Featured image by Mark Wilson/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees