United Is Sending Its 767s With Extra Polaris Seats to Switzerland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will bring its Boeing 767-300ERs with extra Polaris business class seats to Switzerland next year, giving flyers almost 50% more chances of an upgrade to business.
The Star Alliance carrier plans to operate the aircraft, which have 46 Polaris business class seats instead of the standard 30 seats, to Switzerland from Newark (EWR) beginning in 2020, United chief commercial officer Andrew Nocella said during a quarterly earnings call on July 17.
United serves Geneva (GVA) and Zurich (ZRH) in Switzerland from Newark, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Airline spokesman Jonathan Guerin declines to say which Switzerland route will see the “high-J” 767 first.
The airline introduced its high-J 767 configuration on flights between Newark and London Heathrow (LHR) in March. In addition to 46 Polaris seats, the aircraft have 22 Premium Plus seats, 45 Economy Plus seats and 52 Economy seats.
The expanded business class cabin, and smaller economy cabin, not only increases the opportunity for traveler upgrades, but creates additional opportunities for United to sell upgrades.
United will operate the high-J 767s on all of its flights to London Heathrow from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Newark by year-end, says Nocella. It introduced the aircraft on a Chicago-London flight earlier this month.
The carrier plans to operate 21s 767s in the high-J configuration, more than half of its fleet of 38 767-300ERs.
The introduction of the high-J 767 is just one of several initiatives by United to expand its premium seating offerings. Others include the installation of new premium economy Premium Plus seat on all of its widebody aircraft, including the Boeing 787-8 by year-end, and the Bombardier CRJ550 — a re-certified CRJ700 — with 10 domestic first class seats on a 50-seat regional jet.
“These aircraft, along with the CRJ550, are two initiatives focused on capitalizing on the high volume of premium demand in our markets,” says Nocella on the high-J 767s.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees