United Will Soon Fly a Huge 767 Biz Cabin From Chicago, Too
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines operates what’s arguably the most interesting Boeing 767-300 in the sky — the carrier’s “high-J” configuration sports a whopping 46 business-class seats, arranged in a 1-1-1 configuration and spread between 18 rows. That’s one massive Polaris cabin, especially for such a small wide-body plane.
The airline is currently working through the process of retrofitting 21 aircraft with this particular config, offering 46 biz seats, 22 Premium Plus seats (in a 2-2-2 arrangement), 47 Economy Plus seats and just 52 in regular coach. That’s one premium-heavy plane!
Initially, this 46-biz-seater was primarily operating flights between Newark (EWR) and London Heathrow (LHR), but, per Routes Online, it’ll begin serving the Chicago (ORD)-London market beginning on July 8 as well.
As of now, only the 9:15pm departure from Chicago, United 938, is scheduled to be flown with the retrofitted plane, operating as flight 959, with a 2:50pm London departure on the return. As United adds more high-J planes to the fleet, I imagine all three daily Chicago-London flights will eventually have the new arrangement, including United’s far-superior Polaris seat.
I haven’t come across any saver business-class awards on United’s ORD-LHR flights, unfortunately, but paid fares are available starting at $2,950 round-trip, for select dates in August.
Newark flyers, meanwhile, should expect to find the high-J 767-300 operating four of the five daily London flights, also starting on July 8. Beginning on that date, all but the 8:30am Newark departure have the 46-seat Polaris cabin.
With more than a dozen additional aircraft on the way, we’ll see the high-J 767 pop up on more and more routes. While the 18-row cabin was a bit challenging for the crew to navigate, in my experience, having so many more business-class seats available should help boost your chances of an upgrade — and, perhaps at some point, finding a saver award.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees