This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, United unveiled its brand-new aircraft livery. While it could take up to seven years to repaint the entire fleet, at least one repainted aircraft — N37267, a Boeing 737-800 — is flying passengers around the US. Just before it re-entered service, though, United flew the plane out to Los Angeles (LAX) for a spectacular air-to-air photo shoot.
United enlisted the help of Wolfe Air Photography and the company’s special Learjet 25B aerial photography jet, which served as the “chase plane” and met the United 737 some 17,000 feet above the West Coast.
United posted a special video detailing the shoot, which includes a variety of formation-flying maneuvers, with the planes flying as close as 10 feet apart.
Los Angeles-based Roger Tonry served as the photographer for United’s shoot, but we had a chance to chat with one of his colleagues, Chad Slattery, another top aerial photography pro. Slattery gave us an inside look at the process, which requires a tremendous amount of skill and coordination. Don’t miss our detailed post, How Corporate Aviation Photographers Get Their Amazing Shots, for more on how a shoot like this works.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards