Behind the Scenes of United’s New Air-to-Air Livery Shoot
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, United unveiled its brand-new aircraft livery. While it could take up to seven years to repaint the entire fleet, at least one repainted aircraft — N37267, a Boeing 737-800 — is flying passengers around the US. Just before it re-entered service, though, United flew the plane out to Los Angeles (LAX) for a spectacular air-to-air photo shoot.
United enlisted the help of Wolfe Air Photography and the company’s special Learjet 25B aerial photography jet, which served as the “chase plane” and met the United 737 some 17,000 feet above the West Coast.
United posted a special video detailing the shoot, which includes a variety of formation-flying maneuvers, with the planes flying as close as 10 feet apart.
Los Angeles-based Roger Tonry served as the photographer for United’s shoot, but we had a chance to chat with one of his colleagues, Chad Slattery, another top aerial photography pro. Slattery gave us an inside look at the process, which requires a tremendous amount of skill and coordination. Don’t miss our detailed post, How Corporate Aviation Photographers Get Their Amazing Shots, for more on how a shoot like this works.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.