United takes delivery of first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner with new cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
January was an exciting month for the fleet of Dreamliners at United Airlines.
At the beginning of the month, we saw the first “baby” Dreamliner, the 787-8, get retrofitted with the new Polaris and Premium Plus cabins. I had the opportunity to fly this plane earlier this week, and it’s a big improvement compared to the old version.
And on Friday, United took delivery of its first 787-9 featuring the new cabins. This plane, registered N29975, was ferried from Charleston, South Carolina, to the airline’s hub in Chicago as United Flight 2710. Since this is a new plane, it’s got a factory-fresh cabin installation. It joins United’s existing fleet of 25 -9 Dreamliners, which are getting their cabins retrofitted over the course of the next few years.
United has got 12 more brand-new 787-9 Dreamliners on order, which are all slated for delivery in 2020.
The airline also operates the largest version of the Dreamliner, the 787-10, but those planes already sport the new interiors.
The biz cabin is spread across 12 rows in a 1-2-1 configuration. Premium Plus occupies just three rows in a 2-3-2 layout, and coach takes up the rest of the plane.
We can’t wait to get a look inside this new Dreamliner and we’ll report back on what we see.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees