These UK University Students Sent Their Janitor on a Long-Overdue Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A group of Bristol University students recently sent their beloved custodian on a long-awaited vacation.
The UK kids raised nearly $2,000 so they could send Herman Gordon home to Jamaica for the first time in a decade, the Independent reported. The crowdfunding campaign went viral because of a Facebook group and the students were able to raise the amount needed within a few days.
“I started it because I know everybody loves Herman for his happy energy,” a medical student who came up with the idea told CNN. “I thought sending him to his home country of Jamaica would be a beautiful way of giving back for all that he does.”
The students were able to send both Gordon and his wife Denise on vacation, and when the all-inclusive Sandals Resorts learned about the fundraiser, the company invited the couple to send two nights at their luxury Montego Bay hotel. As part of a belated 23rd anniversary gift, the couple was treated to massages and a candlelit dinner before heading off to spend time with their family.
Gordon was brought to tears when the Bristol students gave him the gift. When he opened the envelope, he found hundreds of pounds and letters from the students, CNN reported.
“On behalf of the students at Bristol, we would like to thank you for all the positive energy you have given to us throughout the years,” read the note. “You have brightened many of our days and we want you to know that we love and appreciate you.”
According to CNN, a video shows Gordon saying, “When you see things like this, you know that somebody loves you.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees