UK reduces quarantine period to 10 days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The government has reduced the period of quarantine required for travelers entering the U.K. Since the U.K. reopened travel in July, it’s implemented a system of a 14-day quarantine period for anyone entering from a high-risk destination — known as a travel corridor.
However, on Friday, the government announced that the quarantine period will be reduced from 14 days to 10 days. The new self-isolation period applies to all four nations of the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (It’s worth noting that the 10-day quarantine period already applies to Wales.)
As of Monday, December 14 at 12:01 a.m., the new, reduced quarantine period takes effect. Not only does the reduced quarantine period apply to travelers entering the country from non-travel corridor countries, but it also applies to those who have been in contact with someone with a confirmed case.
“After reviewing the evidence, we are now confident that we can reduce the number of days that contacts self-isolate from 14 days to 10 days,” the U.K. government said in a statement.
The government said that people who test positive should continue to self-isolate for 10 days from the onset of symptoms or 10 days from the point of taking a positive test, if asymptomatic.
The new, reduced quarantine period of 10 days also applies to those who are currently self-isolating, so long as they will have passed the 10-day minimum by December 14.
For arriving passengers to the U.K., the government said it will be updating the mandatory passenger locator form, which all travelers are required to complete before flying to the country.
Reducing the quarantine period from 14 days to 10 days will be a welcome one for the travel industry. It follows the announcement of England’s long-awaited Test to Release program.
When the Test to Release scheme comes into effect as of December 15, a traveler entering England from a non-travel corridor country can elect to reduce their quarantine period to just five days if they take a COVID-19 test and produce a negative result.
The test must be purchased by the traveler through a government-approved provider.
The U.K. government is keeping its travel corridor scheme in place at this time. In other words, arrivals to England from one of the 78 countries, territories or regions on the current list do not need to quarantine for any period of time.
Featured photo by ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees