UK reduces quarantine period to 10 days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The government has reduced the period of quarantine required for travelers entering the U.K. Since the U.K. reopened travel in July, it’s implemented a system of a 14-day quarantine period for anyone entering from a high-risk destination — known as a travel corridor.
However, on Friday, the government announced that the quarantine period will be reduced from 14 days to 10 days. The new self-isolation period applies to all four nations of the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (It’s worth noting that the 10-day quarantine period already applies to Wales.)
As of Monday, December 14 at 12:01 a.m., the new, reduced quarantine period takes effect. Not only does the reduced quarantine period apply to travelers entering the country from non-travel corridor countries, but it also applies to those who have been in contact with someone with a confirmed case.
“After reviewing the evidence, we are now confident that we can reduce the number of days that contacts self-isolate from 14 days to 10 days,” the U.K. government said in a statement.
The government said that people who test positive should continue to self-isolate for 10 days from the onset of symptoms or 10 days from the point of taking a positive test, if asymptomatic.
The new, reduced quarantine period of 10 days also applies to those who are currently self-isolating, so long as they will have passed the 10-day minimum by December 14.
For arriving passengers to the U.K., the government said it will be updating the mandatory passenger locator form, which all travelers are required to complete before flying to the country.
Reducing the quarantine period from 14 days to 10 days will be a welcome one for the travel industry. It follows the announcement of England’s long-awaited Test to Release program.
When the Test to Release scheme comes into effect as of December 15, a traveler entering England from a non-travel corridor country can elect to reduce their quarantine period to just five days if they take a COVID-19 test and produce a negative result.
The test must be purchased by the traveler through a government-approved provider.
The U.K. government is keeping its travel corridor scheme in place at this time. In other words, arrivals to England from one of the 78 countries, territories or regions on the current list do not need to quarantine for any period of time.
Featured photo by ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.