Selfies required: Uber might make you prove that you’re masked up on your next ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you leave the house and hop in an Uber, run through your mental checklist: Front door locked? Check. Got your mask, phone and wallet? Check. Selfie? Check.
As part of the push to maintain public safety, ride-hailing companies began requiring drivers and riders to cover their faces in May. And as part of that policy, more than 3.5 million drivers and delivery people have completed 100 million mask verifications to date, according to Uber.
Now, Uber is taking measures one step further to bring riders on board as well. If a driver reports that a passenger is not wearing a mask, the rider will be required to prove that they are wearing one by taking and uploading a selfie within the Uber app.
“We firmly believe that accountability is a two-way street,” the company announced in a press release Tuesday, Sept. 1. “If a driver reports to us that a rider wasn’t wearing a mask, the rider will be required to take a selfie with their face covered before they’re able to take another trip with Uber.”
The selfie feature has been active in the driver’s version of the Uber app since the mandate was first required in May. Delivery people working for Uber Eats are also required to adhere to the same policy by uploading a selfie showing their mouth and nose covered by a face covering.
“We require all Uber users to wear a mask when driving, riding or delivering,” Sachin Kansal, Uber’s Global Head of Safety and Driver Product, told TPG. “We believe [rider mask verification] will add another layer of safety and hope this new feature empowers drivers.”
The same verification technology will be rolled out to passengers in the U.S. and Canada by the end of September, then deployed in other countries including Latin America. As with the driver mask verification tool, this technology detects the mask as an object in the photo and does not process biometric information, Uber said.
As always, riders and drivers can cancel a trip without penalty if the other party isn’t wearing a mask. “As more and more riders and drivers take their “second first trip,” we hope this increased accountability provides more peace of mind,” Uber said in the press release.
The company is encouraging riders and drivers to follow basic hygiene protocols for COVID prevention as well, including:
Wash: Wash or sanitize your hands before you ride
Wear: Wear a face cover or mask
Air: Sit in the back seat and roll down your window for airflow
Since March, the company says it has sourced nearly 30 million masks and face covers, and distributed masks to 1.4 million drivers and delivery people worldwide, free of charge. “We will continue to provide these critical supplies to drivers and delivery people at no charge for at least the remainder of 2020,” Uber said.
Featured photo by Anders Dahl Tollestrup/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees