Uber’s new feature will help you avoid language barriers while traveling abroad
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there: You open your Uber app in a foreign country, excited to start your day of sightseeing (or crash at your hotel), only to realize … you have no idea what your driver is saying.
The good news? Uber’s newest feature could change all of that.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As of today, the ride-hailing platform is introducing a built-in language translator that will make it easier for you to communicate with your driver, no matter where in the world you’re using Uber.
The feature is built for “situations in which a driver or rider maintains different preferred languages, or when English is a secondary language” according to Uber. Translation is available for the pre-generated messages — such as “Be right there” and “I am here” — as well as any custom messages you send your driver (and vice versa). The feature will be available when the driver is en route and after her or she has arrived.
If you’re sending an English message to a driver whose preferred language is Spanish, for example, your messages will appear to your driver in Spanish. The conversation will simultaneously appear to you in English, and to your driver in Spanish. This cool new feature translates text with the tap of a button, and works across more than 100 languages, including Spanish, Hindi, Greek, Arabic, Polish and Japanese.
“It’s … important for riders and drivers to be able to clearly communicate with each other,” Uber said in a statement. Uber will be rolling out this feature to all riders in the coming days, so keep your eyes peeled on the app.
Featured image of Uber and Tourism & Events Queensland.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.