Uber’s New Comfort Ride Option Is Its Version of ‘Economy Plus’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As Uber tries to expand into flying cars and drone delivery, it’s still working to improve its core offering, ride-hailing. On Tuesday it announced it’s rolling out a new option, Uber Comfort.
When ordering an Uber Comfort, it appears you’ll receive something in-between an UberX and an Uber XL.
Uber says Comfort vehicles will be newer and mid-sized, meeting “elevated, consistent vehicle make and model standards.”
However the most noticeable difference will be that each one will have more legroom than a standard UberX vehicle. Vehicles will have minimum legroom requirements, so if an UberX is regular economy on an airline, think of Uber Comfort as being akin to United’s Economy Plus or Delta Comfort +. (In that spirit, that probably makes UberPool equivalent to basic economy.)
Similar to the recent changes that improved Uber Black rides, Uber Comfort drivers will need to have a minimum rating of 4.85 to drive for the service, and riders will be able to pre-set temperature and conversation preferences in the app. So, if you’d like to sit in silence and with the A/C blasting, and don’t want to have to tell your Uber driver that, then Uber Comfort may be your jam.
The new option is not to be confused with Uber Select, the company’s more premium option that offers “rides in high-end cars”. If you want to be guaranteed more legroom, then you’ll probably want to order a Comfort, so you may avoid a cramped Toyota Prius, whereas a Select will grant you a more premium vehicle (albeit not up to black-car standards).
Don’t expect any free upgrades though: Uber Comfort will cost you. Screenshots shared by Uber show a Comfort trip costing about 30% more than an X ride, although prices will vary based on market and route.
The new ride option will be available in the following cities starting today:
Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charleston, Charlotte, Chicago, Connecticut, Dallas, Fresno, Hampton Roads, Houston, Honolulu, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madison, Memphis, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, Omaha, Orange County, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Rhode Island, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Tucson, Wichita, and Washington D.C.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees