TSA PreCheck Now Available at LAX’s Tom Bradley International Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is in the midst of a crippling furlough, as a result of the current government shutdown. But that hasn’t stopped the agency from trying something new — and, especially in this case, long overdue.
The TSA has finally added PreCheck to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) — where many travelers begin their journey ahead of long-haul flights. It’s a huge boost to eligible flyers, given that regular security lines can be outrageously long during peak periods.
I received mixed reports as to when the new checkpoint actually opened — one contractor checking boarding passes claimed today was the first day, while an actual uniformed TSA agent said PreCheck’s been open at TBIT “for a few years,” which certainly isn’t true. What matters is that it’s definitely available now — I passed through Friday afternoon.
There are two screening entrances at TBIT — the north entrance is for all passengers, while the south entrance (to the left when you walk in) is exclusively for flyers with the PreCheck mark on their boarding pass.
While I have yet to actually fly out of TBIT, I’ve passed through several times to use the Star Alliance Lounge ahead of my United flights — before the LAX Polaris Lounge, it was by far the best option for business class and Star Alliance Gold flyers traveling on United.
And, as expected, this afternoon’s experience was a huge upgrade — I was through the checkpoint in just over three minutes, including the time it took to walk from the escalator to the credentials desk. Not a bad first day for the TSA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.