TSA PreCheck Now Available at LAX’s Tom Bradley International Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is in the midst of a crippling furlough, as a result of the current government shutdown. But that hasn’t stopped the agency from trying something new — and, especially in this case, long overdue.
The TSA has finally added PreCheck to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) — where many travelers begin their journey ahead of long-haul flights. It’s a huge boost to eligible flyers, given that regular security lines can be outrageously long during peak periods.
I received mixed reports as to when the new checkpoint actually opened — one contractor checking boarding passes claimed today was the first day, while an actual uniformed TSA agent said PreCheck’s been open at TBIT “for a few years,” which certainly isn’t true. What matters is that it’s definitely available now — I passed through Friday afternoon.
There are two screening entrances at TBIT — the north entrance is for all passengers, while the south entrance (to the left when you walk in) is exclusively for flyers with the PreCheck mark on their boarding pass.
While I have yet to actually fly out of TBIT, I’ve passed through several times to use the Star Alliance Lounge ahead of my United flights — before the LAX Polaris Lounge, it was by far the best option for business class and Star Alliance Gold flyers traveling on United.
And, as expected, this afternoon’s experience was a huge upgrade — I was through the checkpoint in just over three minutes, including the time it took to walk from the escalator to the credentials desk. Not a bad first day for the TSA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees