TSA Is Hiring More Bomb-Sniffing Dogs With Floppy Ears to Put Passengers at Ease
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Transportation Security Administration, floppy-eared dogs are less intimidating than dogs with pointy ears.
That theory is the basis of a new TSA initiative to put air passengers more at ease around the growing bomb-sniffing units at airports around the country. TSA Administrator David Pekoske said at a recent visit to Dulles Airport (IAD) in Washington, DC, that the agency is making a “conscious effort” to deploy floppy-eared canines because they are less frightening to some flyers.
“We find the passenger acceptance of floppy-ear dogs is just better,” Pekoske told the Washington Examiner last week. “It presents just a little bit less of a concern. Doesn’t scare children.”
The Examiner reports that of the 1,200 dogs the TSA employs, 80% are floppy-eared breeds, which include Labrador Retrievers, German Shorthaired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointers, Vizslas and Golden Retrievers. German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois breeds account for 20% of the pointed-ear counterparts. Favoring the friendlier-looking canines was an informal internal decision that was not submitted on any paperwork the TSA told the Examiner.
About one-third of the TSA’s bomb-sniffing dogs interact with passengers in the airport, the Los Angeles Times reports, while the remaining dogs perform duties like sniffing cargo and baggage. At some airports, the agency has been striving in recent months to use more explosive-detecting canines to sweep passengers and create separate, expedited security lines for flyers that have been sniffed by the dogs.
TPG‘s requests for comment from the TSA were not returned by time of publication.
Featured image by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees