TSA Is Hiring More Bomb-Sniffing Dogs With Floppy Ears to Put Passengers at Ease
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Transportation Security Administration, floppy-eared dogs are less intimidating than dogs with pointy ears.
That theory is the basis of a new TSA initiative to put air passengers more at ease around the growing bomb-sniffing units at airports around the country. TSA Administrator David Pekoske said at a recent visit to Dulles Airport (IAD) in Washington, DC, that the agency is making a “conscious effort” to deploy floppy-eared canines because they are less frightening to some flyers.
“We find the passenger acceptance of floppy-ear dogs is just better,” Pekoske told the Washington Examiner last week. “It presents just a little bit less of a concern. Doesn’t scare children.”
The Examiner reports that of the 1,200 dogs the TSA employs, 80% are floppy-eared breeds, which include Labrador Retrievers, German Shorthaired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointers, Vizslas and Golden Retrievers. German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois breeds account for 20% of the pointed-ear counterparts. Favoring the friendlier-looking canines was an informal internal decision that was not submitted on any paperwork the TSA told the Examiner.
About one-third of the TSA’s bomb-sniffing dogs interact with passengers in the airport, the Los Angeles Times reports, while the remaining dogs perform duties like sniffing cargo and baggage. At some airports, the agency has been striving in recent months to use more explosive-detecting canines to sweep passengers and create separate, expedited security lines for flyers that have been sniffed by the dogs.
TPG‘s requests for comment from the TSA were not returned by time of publication.
Featured image by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees