TSA to Expand CT Scanner Technology to More Airports Around the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, the Transportation Security Administration announced its plans to test computed tomography scanners (CT) at select US airport checkpoints. The CT scanners, which have been rolling out slowly — most recently at New York (JFK) Terminal 8 — use algorithms to detect explosives and create a 3-D image that can be viewed and rotated 360 degrees by a TSA agent.
The agency has been trying to improve the security-screening process, as well as speeding it up with these new technologies and training programs. The TSA said the checkpoint CT technology should lead to fewer bag checks and eventually, passengers may also be able to leave laptops and liquids in their carry-on bags.
In addition to Phoenix (PHX), Boston (BOS) and JFK, where the technology is already in place, the following airports will be receiving these units, with more being deployed in the upcoming months.
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Houston Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
- Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)
By the end of the year, TSA plans to have up to 40 units in place at airports around the US in addition to 16 units at federal testing facilities. By the end of the fiscal year 2019, more than 145 of the devices will be in airports.
“TSA is committed in getting the best technology to enhance security and improve the screening experience,” said TSA Administrator David Pekoske. “Use of CT technology substantially improves TSA’s threat detection capability at the checkpoint. By leveraging strong partnerships with industry, we are able to deploy new technology quickly and see an immediate improvement in security effectiveness.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees