TSA’s New Training Program Will Speed Up Airport Screening
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is starting a new program for its screeners to provide more opportunities for career growth and increase training to improve the screening process.
Despite the need for more officers at screening checkpoints, the TSA has had trouble retaining officers and has faced a turnover rate as high as 19%, the LA Times discovered in a congressional budget report. This new program is designed to help the agency retain more officers and provide employees with the training and skills they need to succeed in their TSA careers.
“Our frontline employees carry out a very critical security mission, and it is important to foster an environment of continual learning and growth to improve performance, and encourage critical thinking and leadership skills,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a statement. “The traveling public depends on their success.”
The new plan, which launches in August, will also introduce a customized coaching and observation into the Annual Proficiency Review process, which evaluates proficiency by looking at a collection of tests and data of how officers perform.
“An effective workforce must be properly trained, coached and evaluated, these are key ingredients in preserving a motivated skilled workforce dedicated to executing our mission of protecting the traveling public,” said Pekoske.
TPG reached out to the TSA for more specific information on the training program, but we did not hear back by time of publication.
The TSA has seen a record number of passengers coming through security lately, and to meet the demands of summer’s busy travel season, the agency is enhancing the screening process and making sure employees are well equipped is a top priority. The agency even hired 1,600 new officers in May to prepare for the influx of summer travelers.
TSA also partnered with American Airlines to speed up screening process at their terminal in JFK Airport. In late July, Terminal 8 will feature a new computed tomography (CT) scanner that can rotate a bag 360 degrees, allowing TSA officers to better see its content and allow for quicker scans.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees