This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is attempting to streamline the security screening process at the American Airlines terminal in New York (JFK).
Beginning in late July, the TSA is introducing a new computed tomography (CT) scanner at the JFK Terminal 8 security checkpoint. Because the new CT scanner produces imagery in 3-D — as opposed to 2-D, which is what’s offered with traditional x-ray scanners — it’ll allow for quicker, more thorough scans.
More specifically, the CT scanner allows the TSA agent to rotate a bag 360 degrees in order to better see its contents. “CT provides the capability to virtually see beyond unwanted clutter and greatly enhances the ability to visually inspect the contents of carry-on bags for explosives and other prohibited items,” American Airlines said in a statement.
While the scans might not seem like a big time-saver on the surface, as the belts are actually moving slower, the process could potentially become quicker in terms of not requiring bags to be rescanned because of their placement. The CT scanner allows agents to rotate the bag to see it at all angles. In addition, the functionality of the scanner leaves the possibility open for passengers to be allowed to leave liquids, gels, aerosols and laptops in their bags at all times.
AA and the TSA launched CT scanners at Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX) in June 2017, and the airline and TSA are also testing the technology in Boston (BOS). Beginning in late July, passengers traveling through Terminal 8 at JFK will also be able to try out the new technology.
Images courtesy of American Airlines.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that