TSA Rolling Out 300 Additional 3-D Scanners Nationwide
Could the end of listening to a TSA agent holler about taking liquids and laptops out of carry-ons be near? A new $96.8 million contract with Smiths Detection will enable the TSA to add 300 computed tomography (CT) scanners to airports nationwide starting this summer — definitely a step in the right direction.
As we reported in July of last year, the TSA began testing the CT scanners at a handful of airports in 2017, eventually expanding the program to an additional 12 airports including Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) in 2018.
The CT scanners, which have been rolled out slowly across airports including New York (JFK) Terminal 8, use algorithms to detect explosives and create a 3-D image that can be viewed and rotated 360 degrees by a TSA agent. Because the new CT scanner produces imagery in 3-D — as opposed to 2-D, which is what’s offered with traditional x-ray scanners — it’ll allow for quicker, more thorough scans. In addition, the functionality of the scanner leaves the possibility open for passengers to be allowed to leave liquids, gels, aerosols and laptops in their bags at all times.
TSA Administrator David Pekoske previously told TPG that, “Use of CT technology substantially improves TSA’s threat detection capability at the checkpoint. By leveraging strong partnerships with industry, we are able to deploy new technology quickly and see an immediate improvement in security effectiveness.”
The TSA hopes to complete the scanner rollout by 2020.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Photo credit ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.