Watch as TPG UK reviews Turkish Airlines in business and economy at the same time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Our team has temporarily ceased taking review trips and we are not publishing new flight or hotel reviews. While bringing our readers unbiased, detailed reviews of travel experiences is one of our core missions, now is not the time. We all love to travel and know you do too. So, to help keep you entertained — and maybe inspire you — we are publishing a video review that was filmed earlier this year. Hopefully, this will help you once we’re all ready to start booking trips again.
Earlier in 2020, Jean and I headed to the brand-new Istanbul Airport (IST) to check it out. On our way back to London Heathrow (LHR), we flew with Turkish Airlines to pit the experience of an economy passenger against a business-class passenger.
We flew on Turkish’s long-haul-configured Airbus A330-200 on the relatively short hop.
As with all flight reviews, we pay for our own travel. Check out our experience on board in the video review below:
Business class: Nicky Kelvin
TPG paid: £679 (about $837), which included a business-class leg from Beirut (BEY) to Istanbul (IST).
I was blown away by the experience at the new airport. The lounge was expansive and had an incredible variety of high-quality options. On board, the service was quick and friendly, the food was tasty and the seat was comfortable.
On the downside, because of the size of the new airport, taxi times can be incredibly long. The seat was great without a seatmate, but on a long flight with someone sleeping in the aisle seat next to you, you would have to climb over them to get out.
I was disappointed that although on a long haul aircraft, the Istanbul to London hop only includes short-haul service — both in terms of food and drinks and amenities. That being said, comparing this flatbed experience against the product an airline like British Airways operates on the same route, there is no comparison.
Finally, I was happy to earn 2,180 KrisFlyer miles to put towards my next Singapore Suites flight!. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those KrisFlyer miles are worth $28.
Economy class: Jean Arnas
TPG paid: £115 (about $142)
Jean also found the airport experience to be amazing.
On board, the service was fast and friendly, the food was rich but not that tasty — though it was free. He also thought that the leg rest and head adjustment felt more like a premium economy product.
On the flip side, there were very limited alcoholic drink options on board. For example, there was no vodka, gin or Champagne/Prosecco. There was complimentary Wi-Fi capped at 10mb, with a $30 charge for unlimited Wi-Fi, which Jean found expensive and perhaps even cheeky.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees