TPG Talks to the Artist Behind the Limited-Edition Bonvoy Amex Design
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express,
Change is afoot for Starwood-branded Amex cards. Starting in mid-February, the cards will switch from SPG to Marriott branding, and after Feb. 12, the SPG Amex will no longer be open for applications. However, if you apply for it by that date, you’ll continue to enjoy all the card’s benefits, and you’ll know it as the Marriott Bonvoy Amex once the new branding takes effect.
There are several reasons to consider applying for the SPG Amex while you still have the chance, including the 75,000-point welcome bonus and a reasonable $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year. Another point in this card’s favor is a limited-edition design courtesy of mural and studio artist Tony “Rubin” Sjöman.
This design won’t be sent to card holders till May, but Amex has already given us a peek of the mock-up. Even better, TPG got a chance to visit the artist Rubin in his NYC studio to see him in action, and chat a bit about his inspiration for the card.
TPG asked Rubin about his inspiration for the design, and it’s not a surprise given the final product: “Exploring New York — that’s where I get a lot of inspiration. I probably created 30 different variations of the design. You can plan as much as you want, but things happen along the way always, and that’s the fun part.”
Rubin confirmed that one element of the design’s abstract skyline is the Chrysler Building (his “favorite building”), and he also pointed out the “Manhattan sunset filtered through the Bonvoy color palette” of blue and gray.
Check out the video below for a look inside Rubin’s studio.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees