Tourists Collectively Spend More Money in This Country Than Any Other
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every traveler knows that in some destinations, tourists are bound to shell out a little more cash than others.
But some countries attract such massive amounts of travelers, they can rake in top dollar from the tourism industry by sheer force of numbers.
New data from the World Tourism Organization shows the top countries making the most money from tourism. They are also — unsurprisingly — the countries with the highest number of international arrivals. The trade group calculated the total amount of money spent by international-inbound tourists on transportation, goods and services to rank the top nations banking the most profit from visitors. The data also revealed that international tourist arrivals grew 6.8% globally in 2017 — marking the biggest increase since 2010.
When looking at tourism expenditures in US dollars, most tourism spending is happening in Western countries and some Asian destinations like Japan, Thailand and Macao. With $211 billion in international receipts, the US ranked No. 1 and makes up for 16% of the entire world’s tourist expenditures, even though US tourist arrivals decreased by 3.8% in 2017.
The data also discovered that four out of five travelers will stick to traveling within their own regions and that Europe generates almost half of the world’s international arrivals. Within the Americas, North America accounts for two-thirds of the regions arrivals and expenditures. Additionally, out of the top 10 countries with highest tourist receipts and arrivals, seven of them make an appearance on both lists.
Top 10 International Receipts
- USA: $211B
- Spain: $68B
- France: $61B
- Thailand: $57B
- United Kingdom: $51B
- Italy: $44B
- Australia: $42B
- Germany: $40B
- Macao (China): $36B
- Japan: $34B
The combined value of these countries make up almost half the world’s tourism expenditures.
Top 10 International Arrivals
- France: 87M
- Spain: 82M
- USA: 76M
- China: 61M
- Italy: 58M
- Mexico: 39M
- United Kingdom: 38M
- Turkey: 38M
- Germany: 38M
- Thailand: 35M
Featured image by SolStock/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees