Watch a Tornado Rip Across Fort Lauderdale Airport
Passengers at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) had a frightening afternoon on Tuesday when stormy Florida weather turned into a tornado near one of the airport’s runways.
A flyer in the airport caught cell phone video of the storm ripping through the airport, hovering near several Southwest aircraft parked at gates.
CHECK THIS OUT!
Airport goers in Fort Lauderdale, FL got a scare on Tuesday when they saw this, a confirmed EF-0 tornado! You can see debris flying and a large van rocking right below the window. #Tornado #FortLauderdaleairport pic.twitter.com/H3zDXsfOhc
— WeatherNation (@WeatherNation) April 11, 2018
The tornado was an EF0, meaning its estimated wind speeds were less than 85 miles per hour. The National Weather Service said the tornado touched down at about 4:30pm and moved east at about 25mph.
Flights at Fort Lauderdale Airport were delayed Tuesday due to the storms. The airport tweeted that its north runway was closed from 4:30pm to 7:00pm due to the weather, but normal operations quickly resumed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees