Watch a Tornado Rip Across Fort Lauderdale Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) had a frightening afternoon on Tuesday when stormy Florida weather turned into a tornado near one of the airport’s runways.
A flyer in the airport caught cell phone video of the storm ripping through the airport, hovering near several Southwest aircraft parked at gates.
CHECK THIS OUT!
Airport goers in Fort Lauderdale, FL got a scare on Tuesday when they saw this, a confirmed EF-0 tornado! You can see debris flying and a large van rocking right below the window. #Tornado #FortLauderdaleairport pic.twitter.com/H3zDXsfOhc
— WeatherNation (@WeatherNation) April 11, 2018
The tornado was an EF0, meaning its estimated wind speeds were less than 85 miles per hour. The National Weather Service said the tornado touched down at about 4:30pm and moved east at about 25mph.
Flights at Fort Lauderdale Airport were delayed Tuesday due to the storms. The airport tweeted that its north runway was closed from 4:30pm to 7:00pm due to the weather, but normal operations quickly resumed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees