Tinder Adds Safety Feature for LGBTQ Travelers in Countries With Discriminatory Laws
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tinder is adding a new safety feature for LGBTQ users traveling or living in countries with discriminatory, anti-gay laws. The “Traveler Alert” will be accessible on iOS and Android phones in about 70 countries worldwide that have legislation outlawing or criminalizing LGBTQ people.
The dating app collaborated with the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) to compile a list of places that qualify for the travel advisory safety feature. The list includes South Sudan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Iran, Nigeria and more.
Rainbow Railroad, a non-profit organization that specializes in helping LGBTQ people escape oppressive, discriminatory regimes, saluted the development.
“This step Tinder is taking is a positive move forward to ensure the safety of LGBTQI travelers visiting countries with laws that criminalize sexual and gender minorities,” Andrea Houston, communications and development officer at Rainbow Railroad, said in an email. “It also highlights the lived reality of LGBTQI people in these countries, and how many are forced to live in daily fear of being outed, arrested, attacked or killed. By alerting people of the dangers, Tinder is helping to spread awareness to the broader LGBTQI communities and allies of the global movement to expand human rights protections and repeal colonial anti-gay laws in around 70 countries, and 11 that can impose the death penalty.”
The new Tinder safety feature basically offers a safeguard for LGBTQ users by automatically hiding their sexual preference when they open the app in one of these countries. Users will also receive an alert upon opening the app that says:
“Based on your geographical location, it appears you’re n a place where the LGBTQ community might be penalized. We want you to have fun, but your safety is our #1 priority. Please proceed with extra caution and take extra care when making new matches and meeting with people you do not know.” There’s also a “more info” option on the advisory, which will send users to a page of ILGA’s resources on sexual orientation laws.
After that, it’s up to the user to decide whether they want to keep their profile invisible in that country or go public. If they do decide to go public, then their sexual preference and gender identity will remain hidden until they’ve left that location. Tinder says that they will update the advisory accordingly if legislation in the area changes.
Rainbow Railroad provides everything from airfare to resources to financial support for people seeking asylum in safer countries. So far Rainbow Railroad has brought over 600 people to safety, and so far in 2019 it has received more than 1,300 requests for help.
You can contribute to Rainbow Railroad’s cause by placing a minimum $10 donation through TPG’s Prizeo campaign. The more you donate, the more entries you get towards winning our grand prize of The Trip of a Lifetime Planned by The Points Guy with 1,000,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. Enter to win here.
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.