This Is What Pittsburgh Airport’s $1 Billion New Terminal Will Look Like
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials at Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) just unveiled the latest designs for the airport’s $1.1 billion renovation project.
Designed by a joint venture between architectural and engineering firms Gensler, HDR and in association with luis vidal + architects, the new terminal will neighbor the Airside Terminal between concourses C and D. It is currently set to open in 2023.
The new design, which was approved by the Allegheny County Airport Authority Board of Directors on Wednesday, Feb. 20, plans to feature additional space for a larger TSA checkpoint, shorter walking distances for arriving and departing passengers, indoor/outdoor “green” plazas and seating areas.
“In considering this design, we looked at function first, then form, to construct a building that will be both iconic, practical and affordable and that can be easily adapted as the technology and transportation needs of our community change,” said Airport Authority CEO Christina Cassotis. Developers for the renovation also emphasized a focus on sustainability, aiming to reduce the time it takes to get from curbside to your gate by 50 percent.
If you’ve been following the airport’s ongoing development process of the new terminal, you’ll notice that these renderings are quite different than the ones released in 2017. According to a press release by airport officials, renovation plans have just entered their “Schematic Design” phase, meaning that specifics (such as incorporating check-in, ticketing, security and baggage operations into one facility) are being continuously “refined.” This is expected to continue into summer 2019.
Featured image courtesy of Pittsburgh International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees