This hotel chain will pay for you to quarantine if you test positive after a stay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New variants of coronavirus and new rules from the Biden administration have hotels going the extra mile to keep guests booking. We’ve reported on the newest hotel amenity being COVID-19 tests, but some hotels are now going even further. Certain chains are now offering to put you up for free if you test positive at the end of your trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst and president of Atmosphere Research, first mentioned the news to us. He told me a chain was doing something really innovative in light of the new, tougher rules on international travel.
Palace resorts will pay for guests to quarantine if they test positive after their stay. Harteveldt said, “… if you test positive, you can stay for free for up to two weeks at the hotel. They are the only hotel I’ve heard of that’s offering their guests the sort of worry-free guarantee and I think it’s clever.”
The chain includes Palace Resorts and Le Blanc Spa Resorts. Palace Resorts runs 10 all-inclusive resorts spread out in Mexico and Jamaica. All their properties are also offering on-site COVID-19 tests to guests. The United States now requires all people returning by air from outside the country to have a negative coronavirus test taken within three days of their return flight back to the States.
If visitors test positive during their testing before returning home to the U.S., they will be offered free accommodation for up to 14 days while they wait out quarantine and/or test negative again. Interestingly, the chain offers a special rate if you have to stay longer than 14 days: “Should guests test positive for a period longer than 14 days, an exclusive rate of $199 USD per night will apply for up to 3 guests in the same room.”
Follow this thread in the TPG Lounge for a running list of resorts and hotels that will offer on-site COVID-19 testing to guests.
And Palace Resorts is not the only chain offering this new perk. My colleague Chris Dong first reported AMResorts will also be covering the cost of any quarantine. AMResorts has dozens of properties across the Caribbean and Mexico. You have to book at least three nights, and testing at AMResorts is free.
The AMResorts website says:
“If a guest receives a positive test while on property that prevents departure, the cost of quarantine at the property will be covered for up to 14 days after the original departure date. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus one travel companion sharing the same room. This program remains valid as long as CDC and government travel regulations are in place.”
Mexico’s Xcaret offers a similar free quarantine stay if an on-site test returns as positive. According to the resort’s website, “This person will be offered free accommodation during 14 nights, from day of detection. This policy will be in effect until March 31st, 2021, and applies only for guests and residents of the United States who are staying at the Hotel Xcaret Mexico, based on a four-night minimum stay.”
This is a logical move by international hotels and resorts in response to the rapidly changing rules on testing and quarantines. Hopefully, we’ll see more offers like this as we move through 2021.
Featured image by YinYang/iStock/Getty Images Plus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees