These Guys Camped out in the World’s Best Airport — but Should You?
Long connections and overnight layovers: something any sane traveler will try to avoid at all costs. But if you had the opportunity to do it at the world’s #1 rated airport, would you? We’re talking slides from security to the terminal, swimming pools, nap lounges, a 24-hour movie theater and a rooftop garden, just to highlight a few of the amenities at Singapore’s Changi Airport. For YouTubers from Yes Theory, this seemed like a no-brainer— why wouldn’t they extend their layover?
Well, the legal answer to that question is that you cannot spend more than 48 hours in the airport. However, the pair booked a flight that they didn’t plan on making, to get them in the terminal four days ahead of an international flight that they did plan to make. Although this plan didn’t go so well for a passenger who was sent to jail for two weeks after spending 18 days in the same airport after genuinely missing his flight, the vloggers took on the challenge of spending a mere four days there. Spoiler: they successfully managed to do so, with just one minor scare. Also, disclaimer: We do not advocate breaking any laws.
Even though there are nap lounges and transit hotels available for ticketed passengers, the two spent a majority of their nights sleeping on airport benches and couches to avoid getting into any trouble for overstaying.
Personally, I’m not so sure I would want to spend more than a night at any airport regardless of how nice it is. However, if I were to book a flight with a long layover at Changi Airport, I’d utilize my Priority Pass membership (a perk of many credit cards) to access one of the airport’s numerous lounges.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.