These 3 States Take the Most Vacation Days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A recent report from Project: Time Off looked into which US states are leading the nation in vacation days — and which states could certainly use some more R&R.
The group surveyed more than 4,000 American workers, ages 18 and up, who work more than 35 hours a week and receive paid time off from their employer and found that when it comes to taking vacation days, employees in Colorado, Virginia, and Arizona take the lead, while Montana, Delaware, and Rhode Island are the worst.
Colorado workers take more vacations days than any other state at around 20 days compared to the national average of 17 days. Virginia comes in second with nearly 19 days and 52% of Virginians say their company cultures encourages vacation usage — a crucial factor that determines whether an employee will take time off.
In a separate report by Kimble, a survey of more than 1,200 full-time American employees found that 19% said they’ve felt pressured by their managers to not take a vacation and 27% felt taking time off would add stress because of too many projects and deadlines. Similarly, even when employees vacation, they find it hard to unplug from work. Nearly half said they check work during their time off.
When the US is the only developed country that does not require paid time off, it’s no wonder more than half the workers surveyed by Project: Time Off reported they had unused vacation days left at the end of 2017; that’s the least in the past 7 years.
We value travel more than just about anything at TPG, and while we make trips around the globe for work-related purposes, we encourage vacation time whenever necessary. Time off is good for your health and your career. Of the Americans taking all or most of their vacation days, 20% are happier with their personal relationships and 56% happier with their health and well-being than their counterparts who take few or no vacation days. Additionally, those using their time off to travel are happier with their companies. If you can’t remember the last time you took some time off, it might be time to make the trip you’ve been thinking about. A vacation shouldn’t be stressful so plan in advance and follow other tips on taking a break.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees