Tourists in Norway will soon be able to whale watch from land
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
And come 2022, there will be yet another reason to plan a trip to this Nordic land. It’s called The Whale, and according to Lonely Planet, it will “enable visitors [on the] island of Andøya to see migrating whales up close.”
Whale watching is a huge tourist attraction in Norway, and more than 50,000 visitors already flock to Andenes every year, Lonely Planet said, which is where The Whale is being constructed. Windswept Andenes is considered an especially excellent destination for whale watching due to the cold, squid-filled waters that attract sperm whales.
Danish architecture firm Dorte Mandrup won the competition to design The Whale. Børre Berglund, CEO of the project and head of the jury for the competition, called it at once “poetic and low-key” and “exciting and unusual.”
The Whale will overlook the island’s rocky coast, and offer uninterrupted views of the North Atlantic from the roof. The curved, stone-covered structure will be home to exhibition spaces, a café and a store, and has been created to look like a natural extension of the rugged landscape.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Even though The Whale won’t open before 2022, it’s not too soon to start planning your trip there. Fortunately, Norway is pretty easy to get to on points and miles, thanks to frequent flights by Star Alliance member Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). You’ll want to check out Aeroplan, one of our favorite ways for finding Star Alliance award availability, to get there.
While you can go whale watching from basically any country with a coastline, there are certain places where the chances of sightings are particularly high and the whales come conveniently close to shore. So, if Norway isn’t a fit for you, consider one of our other favorite destinations on Earth for whale watching.
Featured image courtesy of Dorte Mandrup.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees