The San Antonio Airport Was Just Disrupted by a Monkey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Maybe he had a middle seat; maybe he didn’t get priority boarding. Whatever the reason for his grievance, a San Antonio-bound monkey escaped his cage Monday afternoon for a self-guided tour of the San Antonio Airport (SAT) baggage area.
The monkey arrived at San Antonio (SAT) from Chicago (ORD) Monday afternoon and “inadvertently became free of his cage” somewhere along the way, said a spokesperson for American Airlines. The monkey, a rhesus macaque named Dawkins, had originally come from Boston (BOS), and was on his way to a new home at the Born Free USA primate sanctuary, located on 186 acres just outside the San Antonio area.
Dawkins remained in the baggage area and never entered the passenger part of the airport itself. A video posted to Twitter showed him, err, monkeying around one of the baggage carousels in the cargo area. The San Antonio Aviation Department and officials from the San Antonio Zoo worked together with the airport and the airline to make sure Dawkins didn’t suffer undue stress.
Soon after this video was taken, Dawkins was successfully tranquilized, and he is now on his way to his new home.
“One of the realities of working with primates is that situations often can be unpredictable, and that is precisely what happened today,” Born Free USA said via Twitter. “While this is not an ideal arrival for Dawkins, his is destined for a very comfortable life – the kind of life he deserves – at our Sanctuary, that will be as close as possible to life in the wild.”
American Airlines said it would conduct a full review of the situation. TPG has reached out to Dawkins for a review of the Boeing 737-800 cargo hold experience.
We had originally identified, incorrectly, the subject of this story as a baboon. It later transpired that it was in fact a rhesus macaque, a different species. We have corrected the story.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees