The new and improved Amex Green Card is going green
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The iconic American Express® Green Card is getting an eco-friendly makeover.
Both personal and business versions of the Green Card are being remade primarily from plastic reclaimed from beaches, islands and coastal communities, and will be issued to cardholders later this year. Amex will also launch a credit-card recycling program to help customers responsibly dispose of their older cards, launching sometime in early 2020.
The new Green Cards are part of a new partnership with Parley for the Oceans: Amex is implementing the nonprofit organization’s AIR strategy of Avoiding plastic use wherever possible; Intercepting plastic waste; and Redesigning the material itself wherever possible to cut down on plastics that contribute to marine pollution.
You can get involved, too: For every comment between now and September 23 that utilizes the hashtag #BackOurOceans posted on dedicated AmericanExpress or Parley for the Oceans Instagram posts, Amex and Parley say they will remove two pounds of marine plastic — up to a total of one million pounds.
American Express committed to 100% renewable energy in 2018, becoming a certified CarbonNeutral® company. All of the Centurion® Lounges worldwide have already abandoned single-use plastics, and the company is working to eliminate single-use plastic throughout its global operations, replacing cups, lids, straws and other products with reusable or compostable packaging and utensils.
Amex isn’t the only travel-related company trying to do something about its environmental footprint. Several airlines have implemented a number of measures to cut down on fuel, minimize carbon offset or to utilize more sustainable energy sources, while others are focused on eliminating single-use plastic in their operations.
Featured photo by American Express.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.