The new and improved Amex Green Card is going green
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The iconic American Express® Green Card is getting an eco-friendly makeover.
Both personal and business versions of the Green Card are being remade primarily from plastic reclaimed from beaches, islands and coastal communities, and will be issued to cardholders later this year. Amex will also launch a credit-card recycling program to help customers responsibly dispose of their older cards, launching sometime in early 2020.
The new Green Cards are part of a new partnership with Parley for the Oceans: Amex is implementing the nonprofit organization’s AIR strategy of Avoiding plastic use wherever possible; Intercepting plastic waste; and Redesigning the material itself wherever possible to cut down on plastics that contribute to marine pollution.
You can get involved, too: For every comment between now and September 23 that utilizes the hashtag #BackOurOceans posted on dedicated AmericanExpress or Parley for the Oceans Instagram posts, Amex and Parley say they will remove two pounds of marine plastic — up to a total of one million pounds.
American Express committed to 100% renewable energy in 2018, becoming a certified CarbonNeutral® company. All of the Centurion® Lounges worldwide have already abandoned single-use plastics, and the company is working to eliminate single-use plastic throughout its global operations, replacing cups, lids, straws and other products with reusable or compostable packaging and utensils.
Amex isn’t the only travel-related company trying to do something about its environmental footprint. Several airlines have implemented a number of measures to cut down on fuel, minimize carbon offset or to utilize more sustainable energy sources, while others are focused on eliminating single-use plastic in their operations.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by American Express.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees